GWATFL Teacher of the Year (ToY)
Each year, the Northeast Conference chooses its Teacher of the Year from among the candidates selected by the states in the Northeast region. This individual then represents our organization at the National Language Teacher of the Year competition at the ACTFL Conference in November. The award for the National Language Teacher of the Year is intended to elevate the status and the public profile of the language teaching profession at the state, regional and national levels by recognizing the individuals chosen for this award.
The Northeast Conference will participate in the ACTFL Teacher of the Year competition. ACTFL requests that state associations choose a state Teacher of the Year during fall each school year. In January, the NECTFL TOY Committee will review all state dossiers and choose a regional winner who will be announced as the Northeast Conference Teacher of the Year.
How to nominate a teacher for GWATFL Teacher of the and apply
Nominate a teacher for GWATFL Teacher of the year!
GWATFL WORLD LANGUAGES TEACHER OF THE YEAR
GWATFL is proud to announce the World Languages Teacher of the Year competition. The recipient will receive a gift, a personalized award, and will be recognized at a “Teacher of the Year” Celebration. The award has been developed to honor the field of language teaching. It also offers opportunities to increase the visibility of the importance of learning languages and cultures.
PROCESS OF APPLICATION:
The World Languages Teacher of the Year process begins with the submission of the requirements for Phase I. GWATFL encourages broad participation and will review sufficient evidence from candidates of their teaching accomplishments and ability to represent the language profession.
Nominee Requirements for GWATFL World Languages Teacher of the Year (Based on NECTFL and ACTFL requirements)
1. Must be a GWATFL member.
2. The recipient must be willing to meet all of the criteria and to fulfill all of the duties described throughout this document.
- Be a full-time language teacher who spends at least 50% of their time in direct teaching during the year of application with an expectation of teaching for at least two additional years.
- Cover page
- One page letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- One page letter of recommendation from a current student
- One page letter of recommendation from a current or former parent
- Curriculum vitae of no more than five pages in length
- 500-word first-person statement on the value of learning a language and developing cultural competence for all learners
- A classroom video providing a brief, clear, and concise snapshot from a unit that must include the teacher and must show teacher interacting with students in the target language that is a continuous, non-edited 20-minute segment of a lesson in the actual classroom
1. Nominees will submit the required documents as stated in the Nominee Requirements by October 1.
All materials submitted to GWATFL must be shared with firstname.lastname@example.org via Google Drive folder. Please do not mail or email your materials. Contact us for details and guidelines on sharing your portfolio.
2. The winner will be notified by October 15th and will be formally recognized at the GWATFL Fall Conference.
Here is a checklist